- PRESS ADVISORY
- Callie Maidhof (Phone)
- Cat Brooks (Phone)
- Who: No Justice No BART and allied community groups
- What: Press Conference and announcement of our next BART demonstration
- Time: 4:30 PM, Monday September 5th
- Place: Civic Center Station, inside the station but outside the fare gates
- Tomorrow, Monday September 5th, No Justice No BART will be hosting a
- press conference at 4:30 PM inside Civic Center BART station. Along
- with several other community groups, we are planning a mass action on
- Thursday, September 8th, at the Powell BART station, to demand Justice
- for Charles Hill, who was needlessly gunned down by BART police. We
- will demand that the violent, corrupt, and dangerous BART police force
- be disbanded.
- The press conference will include the release of more detailed
- information about the upcoming action. This action will likely differ
- from previous No Justice No BART actions in the following ways:
- * Our intention is to protest outside the Powell station fare gates,
- but we will not block emergency exits to and from the station.
- * IF our demonstration is successful, passengers will RIDE BART FOR
- FREE from Powell. We are calling this a SPARE THE FARE day.
- * IF BART Police and Administrators attack or interfere with our
- protest, we move into BART and onto the platforms, which may cause
- disruption for passengers.
- * We are making our strategy public so that people know what to expect
- and so that BART administrators know that THEY will be held
- accountable for all disruptions caused by the actions of their police.
- No Justice No BART is a campaign of protests targeting the BART
- transit agency. We formed 3 years ago in the wake of the BART police
- murder of Oscar Grant and have been fighting since... for justice for
- Oscar Grant, Fred Collins, Charles Hill, and all victims of BART
- police violence and murder. Our core demand is that BART disband its
- murderous, inept, corrupt police department.
- On July 11th, No Justice No BART called a protest on the Civic Center
- station platform to respond to the BART police killing of Charles
- Hill. BART to shut down all 4 downtown stations and the disruption to
- the evening commute impacted thousands of commuters. This
- demonstration prompted BART to release the video of the shooting weeks
- ahead of schedule.
- On August 11th, fearing another protest by No Justice No BART, BART
- shut down its cellular service to prevent protesters from
- communicating with one another. This draconian and illegal decision
- prompted a strong and negative reaction from people around the world,
- from organizations such as the ACLU and EFF, and civil disobedience on
- the streets and the internet organized by the shadowy “Anonymous”.
- For the past 3 weeks, community groups have refrained from taking
- organizing roles in demonstrations against BART, and instead our
- members have watched or participated as individuals in the weekly
- (Monday) actions called by Anonymous. On Thursday we will step off
- the sidelines.
- [No Justice No BART is not affiliated with Anonymous, and none of our
- actions have been been coordinated by Anonymous.]
a guest Sep 5th, 2011 4,204 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data