- <Eevee> rockbox blows
- <Strife89> Eevee: When did you last try it?
- <Eevee> what answer would I have to give to not be scoffed at
- <Strife89> Eevee: You lead me to believe that you've NEVER tried it.
- <Eevee> Strife89: version I have is certainly from earlier this year
- <Eevee> it is a cool idea but the execution is, well, less so
- <Strife89> Eevee: A LOT has been done over the past several months.
- <Eevee> rather than hacking a device I don't like I'd just prefer to have a hackable device I do like
- <Strife89> For me, Rockbox is invaluable.
- <Eevee> for me, rockbox is unusable
- <Strife89> I prefer it over every DAP OF I've ever tried.
- <Strife89> Eevee: Please explain why, maybe we can address the problem. :)
- <Eevee> ok
- <Eevee> the battery life sucks
- <Eevee> it never reindexes correctly after a sync and I have to do a full db refresh -- meanwhile it's very vague about the status of such and when it's actually done
- <Eevee> there is no jp support which makes a lot of my music impossible to tell apart
- <Strife89> "JP"?
- <Strife89> Japanese characters?
- <NWT> japanese
- <Strife89> Ah.
- <Eevee> accelerated wheel scrolling is wonky at best
- <Strife89> There is, actually.
- <Vixie> it says unicode support
- <Strife89> Vixie, Eevee: Yes, but the font also has to be Unicode.
- <Eevee> plugging an ipod5 in while locked or some other obscure combination of factors will jump back to the native os and I have to restart it
- <Eevee> but I suppose most damning is that I don't care to lug around an ipod any more and would rather just use last.fm on my phone
- <Eevee> it is very clearly a nerd tool
- <Eevee> it is *capable* of doing a lot of things, but the basic stuff like ~playing fucking music~ is a pain in the ass because making that work right is boring
- <Strife89> What about it, exactly, is a PITA?
- (10 minutes pass, with lots of chit-chat in the channel)
- <Strife89> Eevee: What about getting music to play is so bothersome?
- <Eevee> Strife89: you're looking for like a button you can tell me to push or something that will make it totally lucid and it's not going to happen
- <Eevee> this is across two years of using the thing
- <Eevee> and now I have no reason to use it
- <Strife89> Eevee: I see.
- <Strife89> Eevee: If you don't mind, I'd like to relay this to the devs, maybe they can use the feedback.
- <Eevee> Strife89: it doesn't Just Work and it's rarely clear about what he's actually doing
a guest Aug 12th, 2010 164 Never
RAW Paste Data