- metarat post. how am i going to do it?
- viliam's question as set up point. what have the metarationalists ever done for us? all I got were these lousy kegan stages, etc.
- kegan as terrible PR move on the level of arguments about whether dust specks can be worse than torture.
- will try and give one concrete path through.
- talk about two modes of thought split.
- on its own this shouldn't trouble anyone. quote scott's comment on 'virtue physics'
- possible common misunderstanding: 'it's all nebulous. therefore there's no point at all in trying to get a deeper theory'. i agree that that would be a deeply unilluminating message. you can get this message from any third rate pomo relativist.
- then talk about the deeper level below virtue theories, i.e. actual underlying mechanisms for cognition.
- of course rats could just claim the deeper level for rationality too. i think this would be a good outcome.
- duck-rabbit switch? need to get clear myself on exactly where this purported switch is and whether I agree. It's something to do with removing the clean split between having a world outside the head and a representation inside it.
- Sarah Perry's 'tendrils of mess in our brains'.
- mess is obviously part out in the world.
- But if you try to locate mess entirely out in the world, its tendrils will reach back into your head.
- (maybe why it's hard to get this across is that without the switch everything just looks like an esoteric special topic the author's interested in that day. *You* don't care about mess, or religious ritual, or theatre improv, or mathematical intuition, or whatever. You came here for important insights on reality and the nature of cognition.)
- ending... something about Chapman having gone through pomo relativism and beginning the process of excavating pattern on the far side. This is a really exciting project