Cloud Atlas multitude of drops
- Belief is both prize & battlefield, within the mind & in the mind’s mirror, the world. If we believe humanity is a ladder of tribes, a colosseum of confrontation, exploitation & bestiality, such a humanity is surely brought into being, & history’s Horroxes, Boerhaaves & Gooses shall prevail. You & I, the moneyed, the privileged, the fortunate, shall not fare so badly in this world, provided our luck holds. What of it if our consciences itch? Why undermine the dominance of our race, our gunships, our heritage & our legacy? Why fight the “natural” (oh, weaselly word!) order of things?
- Why? Because of this:---one fine day, a purely predatory world /shall/ consume itself. Yes, the Devil shall take the hindmost until the foremost /is/ the hindmost. In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction.
- Is this the doom written within our nature?
- If we /believe/ that humanity may transcend tooth & claw, if we /believe/ divers races & creeds can share this world as peaceably as the orphans share their candlenut tree, if we /believe/ leaders must be just, violence muzzled, power accountable & the riches of the Earth & its Oceans shared equitably, such a world will come to pass. I am not deceived. It is the hardest of worlds to make real. Torturous advances won over generations can be lost by a single stroke of a myopic president’s pen or a vainglorious general’s sword.
- A life spent shaping a world I /want/ Jackson to inherit, not one I /fear/ Jackson shall inherit, this strikes me as a life worth the living. Upon my return to San Francisco, I shall pledge myself to the Abolitionist cause, because I owe my life to a self-freed slave & because I must begin somewhere.
- I hear my father-in-law’s response: “Oho, Fine, /Whiggish/ sentiments, Adam. But don’t tell /me/ about justice! Ride to Tennessee on an ass & convince the rednecks that they are merely white-washed negroes & their negroes are black-washed Whites! Sail to the Old World, tell ’em their imperial slaves’ rights are as inalienable as the Queen of Belgium’s! Oh, you’ll grow hoarse, poor & gray in caucuses! You’ll be spat on, shot at, lynched, pacified with medals, spurned by backwoodsmen! Crucified! Naive, dreaming Adam. He who would do battle With the many-headed hydra of human nature must pay a world of pain & his family must pay it along with him! & only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean!”
- Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?
RAW Paste Data Copied