a guest Aug 17th, 2019 80 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- The United States military's inability to accurately estimate the length and intensity of the conflict in Afghanistan occurred for many reasons, but a significant contribution came from the hubris of being a militarily dominant superpower. This showed in several ways:
- - Ignoring that other nations might not have the same values that we do
- - Ignoring the experience of the Soviets, who -- despite obvious differences to the US coalition -- tried to achieve many of the same social and political transformations, and who experienced many of the same frustrations that the US and NATO later experienced;
- - Ignoring the history of Afghanistan, which had a precedent of being easy to conquer but difficult to occupy
- - Ignoring why the Taliban fight, particularly their religious motivation
RAW Paste Data