a guest Aug 19th, 2019 61 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- There are some persons who pretend that life is only a succession of
- misfortunes, which is as much as to say that life itself is a misfortune;
- but if life is a misfortune, death must be exactly the reverse and
- therefore death must be happiness, since death is the very reverse of
- life. That deduction may appear too finely drawn. But those who say that
- life is a succession of misfortunes are certainly either ill or poor;
- for, if they enjoyed good health, if they had cheerfulness in their heart
- and money in their purse, if they had for their enjoyment a Cecilia, a
- Marinetta, and even a more lovely beauty in perspective, they would soon
- entertain a very different opinion of life! I hold them to be a race of
- pessimists, recruited amongst beggarly philosophers and knavish,
- atrabilious theologians. If pleasure does exist, and if life is necessary
- to enjoy pleasure, then life is happiness. There are misfortunes, as I
- know by experience; but the very existence of such misfortunes proves
- that the sum-total of happiness is greater. Because a few thorns are to
- be found in a basket full of roses, is the existence of those beautiful
- flowers to be denied? No; it is a slander to deny that life is happiness.
- When I am in a dark room, it pleases me greatly to see through a window
- an immense horizon before me.
RAW Paste Data