warrior98 Oct 21st, 2019 (edited) 73 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- I have recently completed six months as a Junior Software Developer at Sector Labs, and in this report I would like to take the opportunity to provide feedback on the first steps of my career path.
- My first server-side enhancement
- In the beggining I did not really understand the project because of its complexity. I had to browse through many pages of documentation to understand how the Lazy Loading of images work. Luckly, all this research was not in vain, as I was able to decrease the page loading time by 11% with the help of a new compression method. Not only this improvement reduced our costs by $7000 a month, but also boosted our website's place on Google PageRank.
- Outdated function calls
- I also tried to alleviate the problem with the memory consumption that appears on some pages' comment section. I tought about an algorithm which uses balanced binary trees as a data structure instead of the normal tree that I believed we were using. It turned out that the Controller already contained an implementation of my idea, but, for some reason, it was not in use.
- In light of the issue highlighted above, I would suggest a refactoring of our codebase, an update to the reference guides and 2 more weeks of training time with a Senior Engineer that knows the underlying functionalities. Had I known from the start that we were actually using the better method it would have saved me 3 weeks of work.
- Overall, I am pleased with my achievements and I am looking forward to continue working with such exceptional colleagues.
RAW Paste Data