- Letter from University of Maryland President Wallace Loh
- April 4, 2012
- Dear University of Maryland community:
- Respect, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the University of
- Very recently, the University Police were notified of two separate
- incidents of bias and hate. In one, an elevator in an academic building
- was vandalized with anti-Semitic messages. In the other, a Facilities
- Management supervisor found a noose in space being renovated.
- University Police are actively investigating both cases.
- Though hate and bias incidents have declined 85% over the past 9 years
- -- from a high of 33 in 2003 to 5 in 2011 -- even one incident is too many.
- These incidents are abhorrent. The University of Maryland does not
- tolerate hate or bias in any form. And, it is the right of all members
- of our community to work and live in an environment in which they feel
- safe, respected, and included.
- Such incidents that impact our collective safety and well-being should
- be reported immediately to the appropriate authorities (see contact list
- below). Any person or persons engaged in them will be subject to the
- University's disciplinary processes and/or criminal proceedings, as
- I would like to thank all of you for your continued dedication to the
- values for which we stand.
- Wallace D. Loh
- Who to contact:
- - UMD Police Department, 301-405-3555
- - Kumea Shorter-Gooden, Chief Diversity Officer, 301-405-6810
- - Resident assistant or resident director of a residence hall
- - Counseling Center, 301-314-7651; Faculty-Staff Assistance Program,
Hate Incidents on #UMD Campus
OccupyUMD Apr 4th, 2012 105 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data