- It's been a while since I've posted anything. "I've been busy" is everyone's excuse for laziness, but I can't come up with a better one. For those of you who follow the news in Central America, you will know that I am in hiding in an undisclosed location in Belize. Hiding out is no fun. I've always wondered why people on the run turn themselves in in many cases. I now know the answer - boredom. I have a low tolerance for boredom.
- I am in a one room house in an uninteresting location. I have not been outdoors for 5 days. I have no cable or satellite TV and I have three DVDs - "The Human Stain", "Tierra" and "Naked". I have no books. I do have an Ipad but no charger. They are difficult to get in this country. I have 21% charge remaining - I have been rationing. Since, in the end, The only person you can trust is yourself, I have had no contact with anyone other than telephone interviews with the press.
- The Gsu have issued additional charges but have not divulged what they might be. Having spent one night already sleeping on the concrete floor of the Beluze City jail I am not excited about the prospect of returning. Yes, there are no beds in belize jails. Or toilets. A half cut milk carton serves the purpose. It was tolerable until one A.M. when a drunk was added to the cell and he immediately kicked over the container. Five of us slept crowded together in the least contaminated corner. I was out before dawn so I shouldn't complain.
- My lawyers tell me there is absolutely nothing to worry about, so that makes me very worried. They will be negotiating with the government today, if all goes well.
- When I get a chance I would like to write a story about the seventeen year old girl I was found with. She was sixteen when she came to me. A beautiful young girl. A plant from one of the gangs in Belize city. I fell for it. This was about the time I stopped communicating with the Pile. And about the time that I stopped doing hearly everything familiar. It is a long and sometimes tragic story. The age of consent is 15 in this country. Not to excuse myself but to cross this off as a possibility for additional charges.
- I'm down to 17% charge. I will leave you. For those of you with time on your hands who would like to help me a little (few here on the Pile I suspect), you might drop an email to the ministry of tourism or the tourist board asking if Belize is a safe place to visit, since you heard of McAfee's troubles. Tourism accounts for 70% of the foreign exchange earnings in Belize.
RAW Paste Data Copied