- GEIR IVARSØY
- Thursday March 9 was a sad day for everyone at Opera Software. That day,
- co-founder Geir Ivarsøy died after a long fight with cancer. Geir's fight
- demonstrated his strength to us all. Geir showed us the way. Many others
- would have given up after years of bad news. Geir displayed his mental
- strength during difficult times.
- Geir first got sick in 1997. Shortly thereafter he implemented so-called
- stylesheets (or CSS, a language used in almost all Web pages today) in the
- Opera browser, with advice from Håkon Wium Lie. By that time, Håkon had
- already spent three years guiding Microsoft and Netscape [in the use of
- CSS], but Geir managed to create a better implementation in only three
- months, while sick.
- In this period we were also contacted by a big international company which
- wanted to acquire Opera Software. It would have been understandable if
- Geir supported the opportunity, given his health, but Geir preferred to
- continue building the company.
- Geir was a role model for many of us. Geir managed to combine work and
- family life. He came early to work and left early. But when he was at work
- he created wonders, something he willingly shared with others. At home he
- spent time with his family and was an active contributor on many levels. A
- true role model for the rest of us. After his kids went to bed he often
- spent hours solving complex technical problems. He brought the results
- with him to work the next day.
- We will all miss Geir. Geir contributed to making Opera Software to what
- it is today. He never spoke loudly [Norwegian expression] about his
- abilities. He was a reserved man but we will remember him as a hero and
- someone who championed a better world.
- Jon S. von Tetzchner and all employees in Opera Software ASA
Geir Ivarsøy obituary
a guest Feb 7th, 2013 1,664 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data