Please check out what is happening in Istanbul right now. It is world news and the protests are spreading throughout the whole city.
But there is a problem.
- The authorities have started to cut out our basic communication infrastructure, in addition to using tons of tear gas.
- There is also a kind of partial media blackout and they are now trying to stop people from communicating on the mobile network.
- Jammers are being used at the Taksim square so people cannot use their cell phones anymore. The 3G network is down and social media, the main motor of the revolt, is affected.
- There are local internet blackout at important strategic points in Istanbul.
- The main tv channels and newspapers do not report what is really going on.
- Shops, hotels and private homes are now opening up their wifi so that people on the streets can still connect.
We need your help.
If you are not aware of the revolt, please check out this write-up from the New York Times:
Please spread the word on the internet and to people who know these issues better than we do, so we can get help and tools from abroad.