- 12:20 < pirateat40> Gpumax.com has launched our invite only beta. Check it out at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55819. Enjoy
- 12:24 -!- dissipate [~steve@unaffiliated/dissipate] has quit [Ping timeout: 252 seconds]
- 12:27 < luke-jr> syserr0r: you send me your 5850, I send you mine
- 12:28 < luke-jr> pirateat40: rollntime? noncerange? etc?
- 12:28 < pirateat40> ?
- 12:29 < luke-jr> pirateat40: longpolling is only one of many extensions needed for efficient mining
- 12:29 < luke-jr> pirateat40: also, does the longpolling go direct to the pool?
- 12:29 < pirateat40> Oh system passes everything from your miner to the pool.
- 12:30 < pirateat40> our*
- 12:30 < luke-jr> pirateat40: i c
- 12:30 < luke-jr> you should get VPS from me instead <.<
- 12:30 < pirateat40> We have a dedicated
- 12:31 < gmaxwell> pirateat40: ... I asked earlier in bitcoin-dev... what legit purpose does your 'leasing' service have except attacking bitcoin?
- 12:31 < pirateat40> Massive machine, with a failover coming soon.
- 12:31 -!- PMC2011__ [~PMC@184.108.40.206] has joined #bitcoin-mining
- 12:31 < luke-jr> o
- 12:31 < pirateat40> gmaxwell, simply opening up the leasing market.
- 12:32 < gmaxwell> You mean opening up the market for purchased chain forks to allow doublespend and finney attacks, right?
- 12:33 < pirateat40> gmaxwell, if that was what we were looking to do we would have our own pool.
- 12:33 < luke-jr> pirateat40: gmaxwell does have a point
- 12:33 < gmaxwell> No, if you had your own pool no one would use it because you'd be small and have a lot of varience.
- 12:33 < pirateat40> If the market thinks that every collection of hashing is a threat we are in more trouble than we know.
- 12:33 < gmaxwell> What you're doing is better.
- 12:33 < luke-jr> pirateat40: the only legit use for double-SHA256 is Bitcoin
- 12:33 < Diablo-D3> pirateat40: no, its the only viable attack
- 12:34 < Diablo-D3> pirateat40: thats it, theres no other viable attacks, none
- 12:34 < gmaxwell> 'better' in that you can get control of miners without having them adopt a small pool.
- 12:34 < gmaxwell> What Diablo-D3 says, concentration of hash power is the one attack bitcoin admits while closing all others.
- 12:34 < pirateat40> The odds that we are able to manage more than 51% is unlikely.
- 12:34 < Diablo-D3> atm its basically impossible
- 12:35 < Diablo-D3> deepbit is the largest concentration of hash power, its several thash
- 12:35 < Diablo-D3> and it cant do it
- 12:35 -!- PMC2011_ [~PMC@220.127.116.11] has quit [Ping timeout: 276 seconds]
- 12:35 < Diablo-D3> 3thash = 300 stock 5850s give or take.
- 12:36 < Diablo-D3> er no thats not right
- 12:36 < Diablo-D3> gmaxwell: whats 3 thash divided by 300 mhash?
- 12:37 < Diablo-D3> is it 10k?
- 12:37 < gmaxwell> You don't have to have more than 51% to attack. You just have to have more than 50% to always attack successfully.
- 12:37 < pirateat40> lol
- 12:37 < gmaxwell> Diablo-D3: yes.
- 12:37 < pirateat40> I was rounding
- 12:37 < gmaxwell> pirateat40: you're misunderstanding me.
- 12:37 < Diablo-D3> okay, 3 thash == 10,000 stock 5850s
- 12:37 < gmaxwell> pirateat40: you can have 10% of the hash power and attack.
- 12:38 < gmaxwell> pirateat40: and you're proving infrastructure where anyone can have that on demand.
- 12:38 < gmaxwell> Again what is the legit purpose of this, don't wave your hands. What need does this satisify?
- 12:38 < Diablo-D3> btw, theres a small problem on trying the attack on less than 50%
- 12:38 < rjk2> keeps users from buying whole mining contracts, and allows them to get smaller amounts on demand
- 12:39 < rjk2> right?
- 12:39 < Diablo-D3> you will get so many failed attempts that straight forward mining is far more profitable
- 12:39 < gmaxwell> rjk2: that doesn't make sense. when you buy mining contracts you pay in USD or EUR. It's just another way of buying bitcoin, but with a long term committment and mining uncertanty.
- 12:39 -!- trustyha_ [~email@example.com] has quit [Quit: Computer has gone to sleep.]
- 12:39 < pirateat40> gmaxwell, you can't blame someone for building a way to do it.
- 12:40 < Diablo-D3> might as well just add a 0 to the difficulty every 1% less than 50
- 12:40 < Diablo-D3> 50%? 1 in 1. 49%? 1 in 10. etc.
- 12:40 < pirateat40> gmaxwell, we only accept bitcoin for mining contracts.
- 12:41 < dub> wat
- 12:41 < pirateat40> So those purchasing from us will have to purchase bitcoins to use it.
- 12:42 < Diablo-D3> pirateat40: what, hoard the bitcoins route?
- 12:42 < Diablo-D3> you could do it, its a dick move
- 12:42 < gmaxwell> 12:40 < pirateat40> gmaxwell, we only accept bitcoin for mining contracts.
- 12:42 < gmaxwell> ^ Yes, thats what indicates to me that your service has no legit purpose.
a guest Dec 27th, 2011 345 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data