Peter - NVME
a guest Apr 20th, 2016 81 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Hi Kris and Allan,
- Thank you for the great program which is always full of useful tips, tricks and news.
- I have embarked upon a quest to get my wife using PC-BSD and have switched her laptop from Windows (and Ubuntu) to PC-BSD 11. My wife's use case is writing research papers, email and web surfing. Given her research, it backs up using ZFS snapshot replication.
- The reason for 11 (rather than 10) is that it has better support for Intel wifi.
- The OS is currently installed on an Intel SATA SSD on a CLEVO P670RG.
- She seems to like PC-BSD but I think I can improve her experience and have her full "buy-in" by making the machine boot from an onboard m.2 Samsung 950 Pro NVME drive.
- I have tried to install the OS on the NVME multiple times using UEFI and GPT but I cannot get it to boot (hence the install on the SATA SSD). When I try to install using UEFI (even on 10.2), the GUI just "black screens" and will not proceed.
- Without UEFI but with GPT, it installs but will not boot.
- I have altered BIOS settings with and without UEFI but to no avail (would not boot FreeBSD - but will boot Ubuntu 15.10).
- I have also done the mandatory google search (and have seen Allan's post here https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/44983/).
- Just wondering if you have any more tips and tricks to get PC-BSD/FreeBSD booting from NVME.
- Thank you once again for your advice.
- Kind Regards,
RAW Paste Data