- 18 July 2011
- Dear Mr …
- YOUR COMPLAINT: DOMAIN RENEWAL GROUP
- Thank you for contacting us.
- I should say straight away that we have considered the ad and the issue you raise carefully but there don’t seem to be grounds for formal action under our Code at this stage. I realise this might disappoint you perhaps I can explain in more detail.
- Although we understand this company is based in America we have previously investigated and upheld complaints about an earlier version of this mailing (being that there is no equivalent regulatory authority in the US) but since that time the advertisers have made changes, in consultation with our Compliance Team, which we consider brings the current mailing in line with the requirements of our Code.
- We note that the mailing makes a number of references indicating that recipients might like to “switch,” or “transfer,” from their current registrar on which they can “decide for yourself.” We are now satisfied with the changes and believe the wording in the ad makes sufficiently clear it is not a bill and recipients are not obligated to renew with the Domain Renewal Group or make a payment. Whilst I appreciate your concerns we are satisfied that the wording in the ad including “You are under no obligation to pay the amounts stated below, unless you accept this offer, this notice is not a bill,” makes sufficiently clear that it is not a bill. The ad also states “Domain name holders are not obligated to renew their domain name with their current Registrar or with the Domain Renewal Group,” and we feel that recipients are unlikely to respond to the advertisement in error.
- Again, I realise you might remain disappointed but I hope this at least explains our decision.
- Yours sincerely
- Tim Evans
- Complaints Executive
- Tel: 020 7492 2174
- Email: email@example.com
- The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and the Advertising Standards Authority (Broadcast) Ltd will use the information you have given us to deal with your complaint. If your complaint falls under the remit of a different regulatory body, we will normally pass it on to that body. If you are seeking suppression from an advertiser's database or have not received goods or a refund, we will pass the details of your complaint to the advertiser so it can take action.
- We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given us permission to do so. You can register at the 'Keep Me Informed' section of our website for communications you would like to receive from us, which you can amend at any time.
- We would like you to be available to take part in the ASA's customer satisfaction research. On our behalf, an independent research company contacts complainants by post (and advertisers by phone). Please let us know if you do NOT want to participate in that research by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to Advertising Standards Authority, Freepost LON20659, LONDON, WC1V 6BR.
RAW Paste Data Copied