a guest Apr 21st, 2019 418 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- You may be onto something here. Memes used to be simple. Relatable. Worth a chuckle. Then they evolved. New formats, new tag lines, new content that was then turned into a new meme. Then memes became increasingly meta and self reflective. They parodied themselves and the users who both made them and consumed them. They built off of one another. They grew. They morphed into something entirely novel. This progressed to the point where even that wasn't enough. They had to become something more than themselves. They became surreal. They became deep fried and nuked. Each flavor building off of the last and transforming into a nearly intangible, unknown entity.
- Art progressed in a similar fashion. Started off simple, I'm talking cave drawing simple. Then some pottery and some small abstract sculptures. Subjects everyone could relate to and understand. Then, as technology allowed for the creation of cultures and societies, art began to reflect that change and it evolved along with it. By the Ancient Greeks and Romans, art had become a more advanced version of the Stone and Bronze Age arts. Better drawings, paintings, and the addition of mosaics. Sculptures eventually shifted from stylistic expression to naturalistic representation. Still accessible to everyone, yet more nuanced and complex.
- After the fall of Rome art stagnated and didn't change very much for nearly a millennium. Early Christian art dominated for the most part, consisting of murals and frescos and simple statues. All of which were based on the Ancient styles. Romanesque and Gothic art also built upon these precedents. This all changed when the Renaissance attacked.
- A cultural explosion changed the art world forever; arguably starting with the Italian artist, Giotto. He began using techniques like foreshortening and linear perspective so that the material world could be represented as it appeared to us. A callback to the naturalistic stylings of the Greeks. Almost like a reference to the days of yore. A celebration of how art used to be, but with the explosion of new techniques and technologies, the art grew increasingly diverse. New and improved frescoes, meticulously crafted sculptures, architectural marvels and the inclusion of new materials in these works. Instead of tempera, oil was introduced along with new styles of depicting light and shadow through sfumato and chiaroscuro. These techniques and stylistic changes, while impressive, were simply an advancement of pre established art. The Renaissance paved the way for the explosion and diversification of dozens of art movements that followed.
- From prehistoric art to the end of the Renaissance, art was mostly about the same subjects and used similar techniques to accomplish the goal of producing a work of art. Yes, the technical proficiency exponentially improved but considering the centuries in between, few true advancements were made.
- Compare this to memes. They were so simple at first and really were nothing more. Then they got better. More technical. More circumstantial. More media to create them with. But memes could last years or many months before dying off. As time went on, the longevity of a meme shortened. This is paralleled in the art world.
- After the Renaissance the Baroque period started. Then the Neo-Classicism, Romantic, Realism, and Impressionism movements not long after. Still utilizing the same technical process but the reasoning behind the movements changed. No longer was it about simply depicting the world around us, it was about prompting the viewer to consider new thoughts and ideas. Urging them to look past the image and think deeper about meaning and context. Pushing the boundaries of what art could be. The Baroque to Impressionism era spanned roughly 300 years. Compare that to the thousands of years between archaic art and the Renaissance. It was a huge explosion of self expression. Finally, in the mid to late 19th century starting with Post-Impressionism, Modern art emerged. This movement focused on self-consciousness, self-reference, introspection, existentialism, and even nihilism. I'm talking Fauvism, Cubism, Futurism, Dada, Abstract Expressionism, and Surrealism to name the most well known.
- These styles changed what art could be. They were no longer about depicting life as is, or layering a painting with hidden motifs for only the privileged to understand, they were in and of themselves absurd. Abstract shapes, aggressive lines and colors, nonsensical dreamscapes. But it didn't stop there.
- Post-modernism. Pushing art to the limit of its potential. Pop art, Conceptual art, Minimalism, Fluxus, Installation art, Lowbrow art, Performance art, Digital art, Earth art. These movements are about skepticism, irony, rejecting grand narratives and reason and instead embracing the idea that knowledge and truth are the result of social, historical, and political discourse and subsequently are a subjective, social construct. It's irreverent and self-referential. It's avant-garde pushed to 11.
- But what's next? Post-postmodernism? Metamodernism? Hypermodernity? Who knows? Only time will tell.
- This is where memes are headed. They started off slow but have picked up so much momentum they're evolving at an exponential pace. They used to hang around for a couple years at most. Then it turned to months. Then maybe only one month. Suddenly it was a week tops. While some particularly great memes do still stick around much like the masterpieces of art in the past, new memes are created every day, every few hours. New movements of memes are being created all the time. Anti-memes. Dank memes. Abstract memes. Wholesome memes. Surreal memes. Deep fried memes. Nuked memes. Even black hole memes, time travel, and dimensional memes are now a reality. What's going to happen next? A return to the classics? A new format so brilliant it steals all our hearts and then starts a whole new movement? I'm excited for the future of memes.
- It's like a skill tree.
- Level 0:
- Level 1: Google, Hotmail
- Level 2: PornHub, XNXX, incognito mode, Gmail, Chrome
- Level 3: Firefox, Wayback Machine, streaming sites, using Google Translate to maximize porn results. Bing for porn. Sorting subreddits by top of all time. Noticing the save button underneath every Reddit post and comment
- Level 4: Torrents, shift-tab, ctrl-tab, ctrl-shift-tab, ctrl all the things! Hotkeys, firewalls, ports can be selectively enabled, disabled, triggered, forwarded, and monitored. MLG and Twitch. Newsgroups and Usenet binaries. First stirrings of interest in furryporn and clop-clop. Aktually becomes a commonly used word. WOW, LoL, Runescape 2007, Eve, Starcraft (pick two to proceed)
- Level 5: Cryptomining and custom Linux distros, seeding torrents, tingly sensation when MLP or TNG theme songs are played. BitTorrent trackers and private trackers. Shrek is love. Redpill/Bluepill unavailable, Skittles symbolically consumed instead. GPU has more clean liquid running across it weekly than you do. lol replaced by kek, which is quickly replaced by topkek. MtG, Pokémon, or DnD (pick one to proceed)
- Level 6: Dark web, using torrents to download cracked torrents, learning that Lolita = CP (and they aren't bluffing). Access to crackerware and brute-force libraries. Unnatural aversion to direct sunlight and increased appetite for sugary carbonated beverages. GBP freely exchanged for tendies. Niceguy achievement unlocked
- Level 7: btc mixers, whitehat/blackhat for hire, wetworks for hire (dubious at best). Auto killswitches for VPN lag, BIOS level deathswitch with mulifactor ID verification. Odd obsession with watching unsecured webcams continues to grow. Porn now exclusively 2D or VR, everything else is for normies. Attempts to summon Gaben fail, but it's not ogre yet. Waifu achievement unlocked
- Level 8: Single use .tor and .onion sites, creation of dark web nodes, Silkroad clones, and stripped TAILS. Contact made with infamous hacker known only as "4chan" (air quotes required). Admin user changed from root to root2. Initial start up time is sub 5 seconds for an OS that supposedly never requires restart. Increased outrage that Dogecoin is not accepted at major retailers
- Level 9: No hard drive USB OS, botnet utilization for IP obfuscation, custom made broad-spectrum VPN's. Energy drinks now a food group, taste in music skews to obscure "sounds" (for lack of a better word). Traps aren't gay after all. Rare memes become disturbingly important, possible correlation between ogre and .onion? further research required. Rickrolling replaced by 2 Girls 1 Cup. Anon feels like your true name. Increased likelihood of feeling that other people are merely NPC's.
- Level 10: Stuxnet source code stored in encrypted USB and worn as a necklace, the necklace is made entirely of small cubes (because blockchains). Ransomware deployment to Internet security firms for the lulz, CPU replaced with pre-2003 hardware to avoid boot level exploits courtesy of NSA/CIA. Ironic T-shirts about Rick and Morty inexplicably appear without being ordered. Renting botnets by the hour now available. Greentext becomes the only suitable medium for true art
- Level 11: Hunter-Seaker viral loads, 0-Day exploits for major anti-virus applications, active deployment of infected USB sticks by leaving them in parking lots at universities and government research facilities (with car keys to exploit social engineering). TB's of furry and hentai "art" stored in Faraday cage and secured with a high-school combination lock. Shrek is life. 2 Girls 1 Cup replaced by 1 Man 1 Jar. Is smegma technically lube? It's my privilege to ask /b/.
- Level 12: Dumb AI research and development in double quarantined virtual machines, Windows auto-updates permanently removed, photoshopped iPhone ads encouraging users to microwave their iPhone to increase battery life, Baneposting supersedes shitposting
- Level 13: Self-improving software, ability to refer to greyhats as "script kiddies" if they didn't literally write their own distro
- Level 14: Constant terror of, and desperate yearning for, The Singularity. Neckbeard now required to sustain life. Strong opinions on the differences between nerds and geeks froth and foment beneath the Adderall-infused mind. At least one password is a variation of "checkem"
- Level 15: The sight of "@aol.com" now causes physical pain, not unlike a vampire being exposed to a cross. Primary source of exercise is aggressive masturbation. Most viewed websites now end in .tor, .onion, or are irritatingly long strings of random characters for no god-damned reason at all
- Level 16: True joy can only be found in doxxing people with the WRONG opinion about the latest Linux distros. The omnipresent hum of unnecessarily over-clocked 1080 TI's has caused permanent hearing loss. Windows auto-update on virtual machine crashes Mint (you didn't actually write your own distro after all). Quints now predict the future, meme-magic has a taste, and it's surprisingly similar to Szechuan Sauce
- Level 17: Bodily fluids routinely stored in Mountain Dew bottles, ability to DDOS all but the largest websites on the planet with massive botnet army
RAW Paste Data