- From: Valerie Aurora
- Date: Monday, February 25, 2013
- Subject: Re: Bsides talk on sex and drugs
- To: Michael Dahn <email@example.com>
- Cc: Ian Fung <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Jack Daniel
- <email@example.com>, "BoardMemberBsides"
- <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Mary Gardiner <email@example.com>
- Hi all,
- I'm afraid this is a bit out of context and I apologize. Mike Dahn and
- I discussed a potential example anti-harassment policy for Bsides some
- weeks ago, which could be voluntarily adopted by individual Bsides
- conferences. I understand that Mike isn't organizing this conference
- and has no control over any of the individual Bsides conferences. I
- sent him the information about today's talk as an "FYI" piece of
- information on what is happening at a Bsides conference because it is
- relevant to his interests and goals.
- Ian, if you are interested in learning why this talk is part of a
- pattern of behavior that results in extremely few women attending
- BsidesSF (I counted 8 at one point yesterday), I'm happy to work with
- you, but only if this is a goal of yours. I don't try to convince
- people to care about how many women attend their conferences or
- whether they are safe or welcome, I only advise people who have
- decided they want more information about it. I would never have sent
- the below email to you directly; it was intended for someone who had
- already expressed interest in the topic.
- It is inappropriate for me to speak to the presenter directly. It is
- the conference organizers' decision who speaks about what topics at
- their conference.
- On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Michael Dahn <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
- > Valerie,
- > Ian Fung is organizing BSidesSF this year. Also, I am not aware of Violet's talk and content. I suggest talking to her directly.
- > I've also cc:ed Jack and Michelle to keep them in the loop.
- > Mike
- > On Feb 25, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Valerie Aurora <email@example.com> wrote:
- >> Hi Mike,
- >> FYI, Bsides SF just updated their schedule today to show that Violet
- >> Blue is giving a talk entitled "sex +/- drugs: known vulns and
- >> exploits."
- >> http://bsidessf.org/schedule
- >> This is total bullshit even if it somehow ends up giving an anti-rape,
- >> pro-consent message. Framing a talk about sex in the vocabulary of
- >> computer security does not magically make it on-topic, and it
- >> definitely doesn't stop it from being a giant "You are not welcome or
- >> even safe" sign for women.
- >> -VAL
- >> --
- >> Increasing the participation of women in open technology and culture
- >> http://adainitiative.org
a guest Mar 27th, 2013 1,220 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data