a guest Feb 21st, 2019 71 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- What do we have to sell to prospective engineering hires?
- Given the recent "Event" that happened today I honestly don't
- know how I can convince any engineers to come to this company.
- At first the sell to the company was that we were an innovative
- startup who worked on ideas that would push the boundaires of
- our industry and that was fine. At that point people were
- willing to join based off the idea that they would work on
- something innovative.
- But then we stopped being innovative. We started focusing our
- efforts on things that would make us money (which is understandable),
- but the allure of innovation was no longer there, we are enterprise
- engineers working on an enterprise product.
- One thing about working on innovative technology is that people are
- willing to get paid less in order to work on the next big thing. But
- that's not where were at anymore and our Companies refusal to even try
- to compete with the bigger companies in terms of salary has left us in
- in a position where we have to hire senior engineers based off of culture
- alone. Which actually wasn't a hard thing, our company operated in very
- much the same manner as it had when it was a startup and the culture
- stemmed around an inclusive environment that allowed engineers to start
- from basically nothing and grow into senior engineers.
- But then we stopped having a great culture.
- Today we've decided that no matter how well you perform, no matter how
- well you fill the companies goals, and no matter how much you contribute
- you are not safe. We have been subjected to a blind layoff, a layoff
- that is akin to a consultant looking at an org chart and trimming off
- the lowest branches without knowing the burden those branches may hold.
- I honestly don't know how to sell this company to engineering hires
- anymore, we're not innovative, we work on things that don't make any
- sense from a business perspective, and even if we do our job we're fired
- at the drop of a hat.
- Culture isn't what the top tells us, it's the attitudes of the people
- who actually do the work.
- When you lose the people, you lose the culture.
RAW Paste Data