- one time i asked john carmack about why he called static collision "clipping"/called the walk through walls cheat "no clipping" and heres what he said -@me_irl
- From: @me_irl
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Origin of term "no clipping"
- Hey John,
- I've been wondering, when you wrote Commander Keen, what inspired you
- to call the cheat that turns collision detection off "no clipping
- mode"? I'm used to "clipping" referring to culling/not drawing
- elements which aren't visible to the user, so I don't understand this
- usage of the term.
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To: @me_irl
- Subject: Re: [JC] Origin of term "no clipping"
- I always considered it "clipping a movement vector", but you aren't alone in finding the terminology a bit off -- there are a couple game developers that still complain about that and some of my other terms today.
john carmack on "no clipping"
a guest Nov 16th, 2012 929 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data