TX Attorney General Complaint to DMI
TwinShadow Mar 5th, 2018 60 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Digital Manga Inc. (DMI) started a KickStarter Project (https://www.kickstarter.com) to bring over a Japanese Comic Book (Manga) to the United States audience in English. This was started on May 26, 2016 and successfully funded on July 5, 2016. The campaign had an estimated delivery around the timeframe of July 2017, towards the end of the year around Oct 2017 for various backer tiers. Updates during and shortly after the campaign had finished were steady and informative; however as the year was coming to a close, updates were starting to trickle down next to nothing and now anyone who has tried to contact the business via phone or email are getting no responses. Their last update was posted on Oct. 11, 2017 and we have heard nothing since then. They have several campaigns on KickStarter that they have failed to deliver items, links will be at the end. Their last communication was from another project, Psyche Delico, which dates to Jan. 29, 2018. Outside of this project, there have been no communication in general since the October date.
- Many of the tiers had physical items which we have seen pictures of from their office. And several people have backed tiers (including myself) that were in excess of $200, with 19 backers having spent $1,750 or in excess of $2,000 for special rewards that they are not getting. I believe its only been reported that less than 1% of backers received any one of the items from the highest tiers for a hand-drawn artwork shikishi from the author herself, Kaworu Watashiya.
- A recent Glass Door review from an anonymous ex-employee of DMI dating to the beginning of January suggests that there is a possibility of DMI themselves having misappropriated funds from several projects that have totaled to over $500,000 from the last several years. Some other rumors suggest they were filing for bankruptcy, but there's been no information that can back this up at this time.
- One of their other divisions appears to still be active that operates under the DMI branding is June Manga, a boy's love publishing arm. They appear to be active on Twitter (https://twitter.com/junemanga) so we know DMI is still operating in some fashion somewhere. Even the address and contact information are similar, if not the same. This is their main website: https://www.junemanga.com/
- Below are the various KickStarter projects they have started, were successfully funded, but have found to not deliver any merchandise to any of the backers.
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/kodomo-no-jikan-a-childs-time - The project I backed, and have not received any of the items, including the books, tote bag, pins, rubber straps, fleece blanket.
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/vanilla-essence-a-heartwarming-erotic-manga-anthol - Some reports suggest people still have not received their items.
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/re-launch-of-tezukas-under-the-air-classic-manga - Some are saying they still have not received anything.
RAW Paste Data