YouTube Search Function
Muskie Feb 17th, 2013 141 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- * This method searches YouTube and potentially eventually other video services for a video
- * clip featuring the passed in subject. Then it returns the HTML for an embeddable player
- * to play that video.
- * @param string
- * @return string
- public function embeddableVideoClipFor($searchString)
- // Previous experience revealed that video search is not perfect, in that for given
- // keywords the top result isn't always accurate.
- $embeddableVideoClipHTML = NULL;
- // Further details on searching YouTube http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-youtubeapi/
- // This was working well for over two years but had to be revised to use version 2 of API
- // May switch to Zend or version 3.0 of Google/YouTube API...
- $vq = $searchString;
- $vq = preg_replace('/[[:space:]]+/', ' ', trim($vq));
- $vq = urlencode($vq);
- $feedURL = 'http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?q=' . $vq . '&safeSearch=none&orderby=relevance&v=2';
- // read feed into SimpleXML object
- $youTubeXML = simplexml_load_file($feedURL);
- catch(Exception $e)
- // This rarely throws an error, but when it does, I just pretend I can't find a video clip
- $youTubeXML = NULL;
- if(($youTubeXML != NULL) && ( ! empty($youTubeXML->entry->link['href'])))
- $videoLink = $youTubeXML->entry->link['href'];
- // This is not enough, I need to trim the beginning and end off this to just get the video code
- $trimedURL = str_replace('http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=', '' , $videoLink);
- $videoCode = str_replace('&feature=youtube_gdata', '', $trimedURL);
- $embeddableVideoClipHTML = '<iframe id="ytplayer" type="text/html" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/' . $videoCode . '"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>';
- return $embeddableVideoClipHTML;
RAW Paste Data