- <[Saint]> It'd be cool to have the option to choose .7z, .zip, .tar etc. but that'd mean more space on the servers for each theme/file
- <Strife89> But how big of an issue is that, exactly? Most themes in .zip archives use around 500 KB.
- <Strife89> Well, if even that.
- <Strife89> Let's do some quick math.
- <Strife89> The e200 has the most themes to itself, counting at 99.
- <Strife89> Let's assume that EVERY target has 100 themes, and that a .zip of each theme is 500 KB.
- <Strife89> I count 40 targets on the Theme page, and many of them share screen sizes, so the net number is less.
- <Strife89> But, effectively, we suddenly have 4000 themes.
- <Strife89> Multiply this number of themes by 500 KB, and you get 2,000,000 KB.
- <[Saint]> there's no way to count the compression level used/content of the theme etc. a theme with a lot of text is soing to compress a LOT better in .7z than it is in .zip etc.
- <Strife89> Probably about 1.9 GB.
- <[Saint]> compression is a *ver* weird thing
- <Strife89> I'm aware.
- <[Saint]> *very
- <Strife89> Most themes will compress to MUCH less than 500 KB.
- <Strife89> So what I'm figuring up is likely a theoretical maximum.
- <[Saint]> iLike for Nano is 31KB in .zip and ~18KB .7z :P
- <Strife89> Anyway, so let's say we have a whopping 1.9 GB of themes.
- <Strife89> Damn. XD
- <Strife89> Now, let's assume that the 7zip format compresses each theme to 60%.
- <Strife89> You get about 1.1 GB (1,200,000 KB).
- <Strife89> So with this hypothetical, bad-case scenario, we're talking just under 4 GB of themes, two copies of each.
- <Strife89> Or rather, a good bit under 3.5 GB.
- <[Saint]> almost certainly not worth the minimal drop in bandwidth it may or may not provide ;)
- <[Saint]> A nice idea from a support POV, but, not really practical from a small OS community
a guest Aug 14th, 2010 113 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data